Saturday, October 3, 2009

How to tackle properly..MY INTRO

OK so i have to write a speech this is my intro...and it only takes me 2 minutes to read it...the speech has to be 6-8 minutes long....some critique please????


Did you ever feel like quitting in life, got to a point where you just didn’t want to get up? Well, I’m going to share with you a period in my life which changed my goals and taught me a valuable lesson.

I was a senior in high school and I was already a top recruit in the Section for my football team. I had worked all summer long to get into shape for scouts and coaches who would be watching me from some of the most prestigious schools on the East coast. Going into the season I was prepared to be the best at what I did and nothing would get in my way.

It was a Saturday afternoon three years ago that everything changed. Going into our match up against White Plains I wasn’t feeling too good about football, the coaches were on my back constantly all pre-season telling me what I had been doing was wrong and that I need to learn how to tackle better. Well before that Saturday, during the week I suffered a strained neck and I shouldn’t have been playing in the game, but being a good teammate I decided to play anyway.
Driving down the field I was chasing after a running back, as he turned towards me I lowered my head and the next thing you know I was on my back. I wasn’t moving and I had a headache. I knew I could get up and continue playing but I just laid there. I had no will. No power to continue playing football. I felt like quitting. Later on in the week I realized I had fractured my vertebrae and that I would be in a neck brace for six weeks, I was lucky to be alive the doctor said.

From that day I vowed never to get put into that situation again, I would never allow someone to tackle someone incorrectly because just one mistake or one hesitation and it could mean the difference between a great tackle or a touchdown and a trip to the hospital.

Today, I will share with all of you four tips to remember in order to tackle a person the correct way. The tips are proper balance, staying low to the ground, keeping your head up and driving your feet through a person’s waist. Now listen carefully because I don’t want anyone whether it’s your children or if you’re just playing around with friends to go through what I had to deal with three years ago.

1 comment: